You are here
Water Pollutant Loading Tool - Resources
On this page:
- List of HUC-12s for each Major U.S. Watershed (CSV)(6.1MB)
- Counties with Endangered Species Act (ESA)-listed Aquatic Species (CSV)(70KB)
- Watersheds with Endangered and Threatened Species (XLS)(693KB)
- For more information about ESA-listed species, refer to the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service Endangered Species Search
- DMR Pollutant Parameters Used and Not Used by the Loading Tool (CSV) (200K) – List of DMR pollutant parameters from ICIS-NPDES and pollutant categories used in the Loading Tool. "Excluded_From_Loadings" indicates those parameters for which loadings cannot be calculated.
- List of TRI Chemicals (XLS)(374KB)
- See EPA's TRI program website for information about TRI-Listed Chemicals
- TRI Chemical Removals from Publicly Owned Treatment Works (POTWs) (XLS)(31KB)
- Pollutants Contributing to Waterbody Impairment: DMR and TRI Parameter to Impairment Category Crosswalk (XLSX)(55KB)
- Comparing CWA NPDES DMR Data and TRI Data (PDF)(20 pp, 735KB) – Discussion of considerations in comparing DMR and TRI water release data
- DMR/TRI Pollutant Group Crosswalk (XLSX)(102KB)
- Indirect Industrial Discharger Report: Linkage between TRI Facilities and Receiving POTWs (CSV)(2.2MB)
- Toxic Weighting Factors (TWFs): DMR Parameter TWFs (CSV)(345KB) and TRI Chemical TWFs (CSV)(66KB)
- TWF Development Methodology
- TWF Development Methodology (EPA 820-R-12-005) – Provides discussion of TWF equation, limitations, and appropriate use of the weighting factors TRI Dioxin TWF Calculation Methodology: See Section 2.4.3 of EPA's Technical Support Document for the Annual Review of Existing Effluent Guidelines and Identification of Potential New Point Source Categories
- Review and Revision of TWFs for Seven Pollutants: Review of Toxic Weighting Factors in Support of the Final Steam Electric Effluent Limitations Guidelines and Standards (2015)
- TWF Development Database (2007) (ZIP)(2MB)
- TWF Development Methodology
Facility Program Flags
- Municipal Separate Storm Sewer System (MS4) NPDES Permits (XLSX) (80 KB)
- CWA Pretreatment Program Facility List (CSV) (231 KB)
- POTWs with Combined Sewer Overflows Facility List (CSV) (121 KB)
- Pesticide-Producing Establishments List (CSV) (130 KB)
- Abandoned Hazardous Waste Sites List (CSV) (215 KB)
- Oil Spill Prevention Program Facility List (CSV) (455 KB)
- Chesapeake Bay Total Maximum Daily Load (TMDL) Facility List (CSV) (524 KB)
- Steam Electric Industry - EIA/NPDES ID Match-Up (XLSX) (954KB)
Bulk Downloads of DMR Data
The Custom Search allows users to create customized searches and access detailed DMR pollutant loadings information. Results are provided as a comma separated value (CSV) file for post-processing by the user.
In addition to the data downloads available throughout the Loading Tool, EPA provides access to DMR datasets through the following tools:
- The ECHO Data Downloads provide ICIS-NPDES Permit Limits and Discharge Monitoring Report data sets for Clean Water Act permitted dischargers by year.
- ECHO Effluent Charts provide downloads of DMR data for an individual facility, either for the entire facility or for specific outfalls and pollutants.
Note that the Effluent Charts include DMR data that may not be displayed in the Loading Tool, such as data for internal monitoring locations and discharges related to wet-weather events (stormwater). For more information about the data in the Loading Tool, see DMR Data Scope and Limitations.
NPDES Program Information
- NPDES Program Website
- ICIS-NPDES Data Elements (Crosswalk to WENDB(2007)) (PDF) (14 pp, 4.6MB, About PDF)
- State NPDES Program Data Entry Requirements (XLSX) (27K)
- Hypoxia Task Force Download Files (ZIP) (300K) - Includes Typical Pollutant Concentrations and Summary Statistics for Loading Calculations in the Hypoxia Task Force Nutrient Model. These data are calculated using 2015 DMR data following the HTF model methodology. The files are updated weekly as part of the Loading Tool data refresh.
Note: These files are updated weekly as part of the Loading Tool data refresh. As creation of these files is automated, the file sizes below are approximate.
|EXTERNAL_PERMIT_NMBR||A nine-character code used to uniquely identify a permitted NPDES facility (NPDES ID). The NPDES permit program regulates the direct discharge of pollutants into U.S. waters.|
|DMR_YEAR||The calendar year of the pollutant discharge.|
|PERM_FEATURE_NMBR||A four-character code in ICIS-NPDES that identifies the point of discharge (e.g., outfall) for a facility. A NPDES permit may have multiple points of discharge.|
|MONITORING_LOCATION_CODE||A single-character code in ICIS-NPDES that indicates the sampling location for each pollutant measurement. The Loading Tool only includes locations for effluent sampling points. These include: |
|LIMIT_SET_DESIGNATOR||A single-character code in ICIS-NDPES that groups limits that are set on a similar basis (e.g., monthly, annual, or seasonal limits). A limit set designator code is provided for each DMR measurement and limit.|
|LIMIT_SEASON_ID||A 1-digit code to indicate one of four subdivisions of the year.|
|MONITORING_PERIOD_END_DATE||The end date (MM/DD/YYYY) of the monitoring period for the discharge.|
|PARAMETER_DESC||The description/parameter name that corresponds to the parameter code.|
|PARAMETER_CODE||A five-character code in ICIS-NDPES that identifies the regulated pollutant parameter in a NPDES permit and specifies both the pollutant name and pollutant form (e.g., dissolved or suspended). Multiple parameters can apply to a single pollutant or CAS number.|
|DATA_FIELD||The ICIS-NPDES measurement field (e.g., quantity or concentration field) of the manual correction.|
|OLD_VALUE||The original value of the data field from ICIS-NPDES.|
|NEW_VALUE||The corrected value of the data field.|
|CORR_DESC||The description of the Correction Type Code. See Section 3.1 of the Technical Users Background Document for more information about corrections to DMR data.|
|CORRECTION_TYPE_CODE||The code used to classify the type of correction.|
|REVIEW_CYCLE||The general review cycle or date during which the data was reviewed and updated. Not Applicable (NA) indicates an automated correction. "Annual Review" refers to EPA's Effluent Guidelines Program review of industrial effluent discharges.|