You are here
DMR Loading Tool Modernization
Last Updated: October 4, 2017
The Water DMR Pollutant Loading Tool (Loading Tool) is a public access website designed to help you determine who is discharging, what pollutants they are discharging and how much, and where they are discharging. The Loading Tool calculates pollutant loadings from permit and DMR data from EPA's Integrated Compliance Information System for the National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (ICIS-NPDES). Data are available from the year 2007 to the present.
The Loading Tool is being transitioned into ECHO to increase user access to data and streamline site maintenance. ECHO currently links to the Loading Tool beta version so users can preview and provide feedback during this transition. EPA plans to retire the legacy site (https://cfpub.epa.gov/dmr/) in late November 2017.
- Site Navigation
- Features Available in Beta Release
- Availability of Other Features
- Future Enhancements
- Frequently Asked Questions
Water Pollution Search
Streamlined combination of EZ Search, TRI Search, and Facility Search.
Access features that generate files for download, such as Custom Search and NPDES Permit Fact Sheets.
Specialized tools and features.
Access help information and technical documentation.
- Streamlined and consistent design, using ECHO design template
- Data provided via publicly available web services (documentation coming soon)
- Improved search speed and performance
- Simplified navigation tabs within the DMR Loading Tool to enable quick access across features and resources
- Many features and pages (search forms, reports, etc.) have unique aliases and may be accessed via direct URL calls
- Expanded help documentation
|ECHO Feature||ECHO Navigation Tab||Legacy Feature||Notes about changes and improvements|
|Water Pollution Search||Water Pollution Search||EZ Search||Water Pollution Search default search type is DMR.|
|TRI Search||Select search type "TRI" to search for TRI direct and indirect discharge data.|
|Facility Search||Search functionality, such as ability to search by Facility ID, incorporated into the Water Pollution Search.|
|Custom Search||Data Downloads||Advanced Search||Reorganized search form and improved search speed and performance.|
|TRI and DMR Comparison Dashboard||Everyday Searches||TRI and DMR Comparison Dashboard||Charts refresh automatically when selecting a metric.|
|Pollutant Loading Report (DMR)||N/A||Facility Information (DMR)||
Available via "L" report icons throughout ECHO:
Incorporates loading calculation drilldowns.
|NPDES Permit Limit and Monitoring Requirements Report||N/A||View Permit Limits and Monitoring Requirements||Available via "P" icon in Loading Tool: . Summary information added to link to other reports. Users may also change the year of data displayed. Improved format and functionality of table and download.|
|Pollutant Loading Report (TRI)||N/A||Facility Information (TRI)||Example report: https://echo.epa.gov/trends/loading-tool/reports/tri-pollutant-loading?p...|
|NPDES Permit Fact Sheet||Data Downloads||Permit Fact Sheet Tables||Improved spreadsheet formatting.|
|Nutrient Modeling (Hypoxia Task Force Search)||Everyday Searches||Nutrient Modeling||Retained legacy functionality and updated formatting.|
|Annual Loadings (Hypoxia Task Force Search) - View Effluent Limits and Monitoring Requirements Counts||Everyday Searches||Annual Loadings Report||Transition in progress. See release notes for expected availability of full functionality.|
Some features are temporarily unavailable in the new site, but will be added incrementally to the modernized Loading Tool. Dates are subject to change.
Note that in the table below, direct links are provided to the legacy site where available. Many of the features listed without hyperlinks are available through Everyday Searches.
|Feature||Anticipated Availability Date|
|Annual Loadings (Hypoxia Task Force Search) - View Annual Loadings||Mid-October 2017|
|Multi-Year Loading Report||November 2017|
|Effluent Limit Exceedances Report ("X" report icon)||December 2017|
|State Statistics||December 2017|
|Watershed Statistics||December 2017|
|Indirect Industrial Discharge Report||Early 2018|
|Compare DMR and TRI Features in Water Pollution Search Results||Early 2018|
|Effluent Limit Exceedances Search||Early 2018|
|Top Industrial Dischargers of Toxic Pollutants||Early 2018|
|Exceedance Charts||Under consideration|
|Loading Trends Charts||Under consideration|
|Load over Limit Summary||Under consideration|
|Lookup Tables||Under consideration|
|Facility Exceedance Counts||Discontinued|
The following data and functionality are planned for future releases:
- Web service documentation
- Video tutorials for the TRI and DMR Comparison Dashboard
- National download files
- Automated weekly updates of reference files available for download
Please let us know if you have ideas for additional features for the Loading Tool.
Answers to questions will be posted below during the Loading Tool transition into ECHO.
- Will notice be given as features are added in ECHO?
- Yes. EPA will update this page and send emails to the DMR Pollutant Loading Tool News list as features become available.
- Will there be webinars to train users on how to use the DMR Pollutant Loading Tool?
- EPA will offer online training for the modernized Loading Tool in the future. Visit ECHO Training for announcements and registration information for upcoming webinars.