You are here
ECHO Quick Start Guide
ECHO provides integrated compliance and enforcement information for over 900,000 regulated facilities nationwide. Its features range from simple to advanced, catering to users who want to conduct broad analyses as well as those who need to perform complex searches. Specifically, ECHO allows you to find and download information on:
- Search for facilities
- Find EPA enforcement cases
- Analyze compliance and enforcement data
- Access data services
- Inform EPA
ECHO provides a variety of ways to identify facilities of interest, including searching by:
- Facility ID, Permit ID or Facility
- Environmental Program (Air, Water, Hazardous Waste, Drinking Water)
- Enforcement and Compliance Activity
You can also use the Corporate Compliance Screener to assess compliance and enforcement data that are summarized across multiple facilities owned or managed by a company, corporation, or other type of entity.
Find information on formal federal administrative and judicial enforcement actions. The ECHO Enforcement Case Search queries civil cases entered into the Integrated Compliance Information System (ICIS) and criminal cases entered into the Summary of Criminal Prosecutions database. Locate EPA enforcement cases by searching:
- Case Type: Any, Civil or Criminal
- Case or Docket Number
- Company Name
- Environmental Program
ECHO provides many features to visually explore compliance and enforcement data. Features and tools available include:
- Create maps of facilities by environmental program
- Explore mapped facility results
- Add GIS map layers to enhance your analyses, including air nonattainment areas, impaired water bodies, environmental justice areas
- View mapped locations of facilities associated with EPA enforcement cases
- View dashboards with charts and a national map illustrating enforcement and compliance trends and statistics that compare state performance
Several focused reports are also available in ECHO that bring together important contextual information and data to aid analyses of facilities. Several popular reports are described below:
- Detailed Facility Report - The Detailed Facility Report presents a concise enforcement and compliance history for a selected facility and is organized into six primary sections, including a Facility Summary, Facility/System Characteristics, Enforcement and Compliance History, Environmental Conditions, Pollutants, and Demographic Profile.
- Air Pollutant Report - Presents ten years of EPA programmatic air emissions data for a selected facility. Emissions are presented as facility-level aggregates and organized by pollutant and EPA program. The Air Pollutant Report provides a single source for users looking to understand a facility’s complete air emissions profile.
- Civil Enforcement Case Report – Contains data from EPA's Integrated Compliance Information System (ICIS) and summarizes federal administrative or judicial enforcement actions taken by the U.S. EPA, as well as state formal enforcement actions taken pursuant to delegated authority to implement the Clean Water Act National Pollution Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) program.
- Criminal Enforcement Case Report – Summarizes concluded federal criminal actions resulting from environmental investigations taken by the U.S. EPA. Criminal actions are usually reserved for the most serious violations, those that are willful, or knowingly committed. A court conviction can result in fines or imprisonment.
- Effluent Charts - The Effluent Charts page presents dynamic charts and tables of permitted effluent limits, releases, and violations over time for Clean Water Act (CWA) wastewater discharge permits issued under the National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES).
Several other advanced tools and popular data services found within ECHO include:
- Advanced Searches – Conduct advanced searches using more detailed search criteria, including focused searches by specific water programs (e.g., Industrial Stormwater and Biosolids)
- National Data Sets – Download nationwide facility data sets for comprehensive analyses
- Explore DMR Data – Analyze discharge monitoring report (DMR) data using the DMR Loading Tool
- Directly Leverage ECHO data – ECHO makes web services available for direct consumption and use within other applications
Use the following ECHO features to inform/communicate with EPA: