ECHO incorporates data from the U.S. Census, American Community Survey (ACS), and the 2010 Census Block Groups Data (CBG) database to derive information about demographic characteristics surrounding each facility's location. On this page:
The demographic profile of the surrounding area is provided for each facility with coordinates on the ECHO Detailed Facility Report. This data download compiles the demographic profile information for all facilities into one dataset.
The sources of demographic data are the 2010 U.S. Census and American Community Survey (ACS) five-year summary file, which the U.S. Census Bureau compiles yearly. The source of each data element is indicated below.
Demographics File Data Elements
The ZIP file contains one CSV file. The asterisk (*) indicates the primary key within the data table.
ECHO Demographics (ECHO_DEMOGRAPHICS.csv)
|Element Name||Data Type||Length||Source|
|HOUSING_UNITS||Num||US Census 2010|
|POPULATION_DENSITY||Num||US Census 2010|
|WHITE_POPULATION||Num||US Census 2010|
|AFRICAN_AMERICAN_POPULATION||Num||US Census 2010|
|HISPANIC_ORIGIN_POPULATION||Num||US Census 2010|
|ASIAN_PACIFIC_ISLANDER_POP||Num||US Census 2010|
|AMERICAN_INDIAN_POPULATION||Num||US Census 2010|
|OTHER_MULTIRACIAL_POPULATION||Num||US Census 2010|
|CHILD_5_0_POPULATION||Num||US Census 2010|
|MINORS_17_0_POPULATION||Num||US Census 2010|
|ADULTS_18_PLUS_POPULATION||Num||US Census 2010|
|SENIORS_65_PLUS_POPULATION||Num||US Census 2010|
ECHO Demographics Data Element Definitions
Definitions are listed in the order presented in the data table.
- The Facility Registry Service (FRS) ID of the facility. FRS uniquely identifies a facility by assigning an identification number (FRS ID), and uses this FRS ID to link together all regulatory program database records (such as permit IDs and facility IDs that facilities uses in reporting to the EPA).
- The number of miles, in any direction, from the center point of the facility that is included in the demographic profile. ECHO derives demographic information for the area within 1, 3, and 5 mile radii of the facility's coordinates. The radius is measured from the best available latitude/longitude coordinate of the facility or permit holder.
- Note: The Census data records distance in kilometers whereas the Integrated Data for Enforcement Analysis (IDEA) database has chosen to display distances in miles. As a result, IDEA has created derived fields in the flattened CBG files which convert Census values to reflect miles instead of kilometers. To make this conversion, distances in kilometers have been divided by the number 1.6 (the number of kilometers in a mile). In the case of an area (given in square kilometers), the number is divided by 2.59, the square of 1.6.
- The total area of a census block group within a given radius.
- The total area that is land (not water). This is calculated using the sum of the land areas of the census block groups within the given radius.
- The total area that is water (not land). This is calculated using the sum of the water areas of the census block groups within the given radius.
- The total number of persons that reside in the profiled area, based on the 2016-2020 ACS 5-Year Summary.
- The total number of people that reside in the profiled area for which poverty status is determined, based on the 2016-2020 ACS 5-Year Summary.
- The number of people in the selected area that have an income less than two times the poverty level, based on the 2016-2020 ACS 5-Year Summary.
- The number of people in the selected area that are people of color, based on the 2016-2020 ACS 5-Year Summary.
- The number of households in the profiled area, based on the 2010 U.S. Census.
- The number of households that are on any type of public assistance (including subsidized housing, welfare, aid to dependent children, etc.), based on the 2016-2020 ACS 5-Year Summary.
- The number of people in the profiled area that are below the poverty level, based on the 2016-2020 ACS 5-Year Summary.
- The total number of people in the profiled area for which an education level is able to be determined based on the 2016-2020 ACS 5-Year Summary.
- Education Level (Persons 25 & older)
- Listing of the total number of persons at each educational level, based on the 2016-2020 ACS 5-Year Summary. Only persons twenty-five or over are included in this category. Also listed is the percentage that each educational group represents of the total population over twenty-five. Education level categories include:
- LESS_THAN_9TH_GRADE_POPULATION (Less than ninth grade)
- GRADES_9_12_POPULATION (Ninth through twelfth grade)
- HIGH_SCHOOL_DIPLOMA_POPULATION (High school diploma)
- SOME_COLLEGE_POPULATION (Some college or a two year college degree)
- BS_BA_OR_MORE_POPULATION (Bachelor of Science (BS) or Bachelor of Arts (BA) degree or more)
- Income Breakdown
- Listing of the total number of households at each income level, based on the 2016-2020 ACS 5-Year Summary. The percentage that each income group represents of the total number of households in the area is also listed. Household income levels include:
- INCOME_LESS_15K_HSHLDS (Less than $15,000 per year)
- INCOME_15K_25K_HSHLDS (Greater than or equal to $15,000 but less than $25,000 per year)
- INCOME_25K_50K_HSHLDS (Greater than or equal to $25,000 but less than $50,000 per year)
- INCOME_50K_75K_HSHLDS (Greater than or equal to $50,000 per year but less than $75,000 per year)
- INCOME_GREATER_75K_HSHLDS (Greater than or equal to $75,000 per year)
- The number of persons per square mile in the profiled area, based on the 2010 U.S. Census. This field is the ratio of total persons to total land area.
- The number of housing units in the profiled area, based on the 2010 U.S. Census.
- Race Breakdown
- Listing of the number of persons in each of the following major categories, based on the 2010 U.S. Census. Race breakdown groups include:
- Age Breakdown
- Listing of the number of persons in each age group, based on the 2010 U.S. Census. Age groups include:
- CHILD_5_0_POPULATION (persons five years old or younger)
- MINORS_17_0_POPULATION (persons seventeen years old or younger)
- ADULTS_18_PLUS_POPULATION (persons eighteen years old or older)
- SENIORS_65_PLUS_POPULATION (persons sixty-five years old or older)